Friday 6 March 2020

Mind the Gap

Since I started crocheting I have accumulated a bit of wool.
      Well, quite a bit of wool I suppose.
      Although, you can never have enough wool, I believe.
      Anyway most of my wool is now housed in seven large, lidded, plastic storage boxes, and these have to be stored somewhere. They were piled on the end of the sofa, and on the floor in front of the main pile. But when we had to shift everything for the plumbers, the whole lot was put into one tall pile at the opposite side of the room.
     We were both impressed that it went in one pile and was still clear of the ceiling!
     Anyway when we were re-positioning the furniture after the plumbers had gone, Graham and I thought how good it would be if we could put the pile of wool containers at the end of the sofa, where there was a gap which looked to be just about the right size.
     Graham got out his tape measure and went forth and measured. And lo! The devil of it was that the gap was about ONE INCH* too small.
    He tried shoving the sofa as far towards the sideboard as it would go, but no, it really was one inch too small.
     He tried inserting one of the boxes in the gap.
     No, it really, really was ONE INCH (you bastard!) too small.
     I looked at the far end of the sideboard and saw that the sideboard could be moved one inch, and one inch only to the right, and would not interfere with the opening of the door into the living room.
    However the sideboard has been in that position since we first moved into the house and had sunk and anchored itself into the carpet. And it also had a large book case standing on top of it. And it was surrounded by a pile of stuff (a BIG pile of stuff) that we have yet to sort.
    So, the sensible thing to do would be to move everything away from the sideboard, empty the book case and remove it, and empty the sideboard so it could be lifted easily into its new position.
    If you have read any of my blogs up to now, you will know that that is not the way things go around here.
    So Graham shoved at the sideboard and I pulled at it.
     And it stayed put.
     So I said, 'Maybe we ought to try emptying and shifting the book case.'
     And Graham vanished to the shed, shouting over his shoulder, 'I'll get the crowbar!'
    (The Crowbar?!)
    So he fetched the crowbar.
    If you have nice furniture, dear reader, I would not recommend the crowbar method.
    But with a mighty heave from Graham and the crowbar, and a pull from me, suddenly with a jerk, THERE WAS MOVEMENT!
    'It's moving!' I yelled, half in surprise, as the sideboard was unrooted and headed towards me at the speed of continental drift!
    We managed to move it an inch.
     And yay! all my wool boxes are now in a nice heap in the previously too narrow gap.



  Ta da!

     And we can still open the living room door! (bonus!)



*For the youngsters amongst us, one inch is 25mm or 2.5 cm




No comments:

Post a Comment