Friday 31 January 2020

Rainbow Cushion Cover

(I actually wrote this post before christmas, but as these cushions were made as xmas gifts I didn't want to put this post up until after people had received their pressys.)

I keep coming across more and more ideas of stuff I want to try crocheting.
     And so a lot of the time I am just looking for any excuse to crochet.
     I love all the shades of colours of yarn I have gathered and I wanted to make something to show them off. I also wanted to make something out of crochet for an xmas pressy.
     So I decided to have a go at making a rainbow coloured cushion cover.
     I didn't just want it to be a plain stitch though, and one of my current favourite stitches is fan stitch, and it lends itself to the colour changing idea, to make the fans stand out more.
    I went and bought a couple of cushions from a Pound shop, to give me an inner that I could cover, then just threw myself into crocheting.
    Once you have the basic pattern for the fan stitch, it is a really easy one to do, and looks quite striking.
    The cushion cover was easy to make too. Once I had got the width right, it was just a question of making a long length which would wrap around the cushion.
    The simplest way of doing it would have been to sew the cover fastened, but I wanted to make it so that you can take the cover off and wash it. So I overlapped it a bit at the back and added some buttons.
     The only trouble was that the pound shop cushions weren't exactly the same size, which I didn't realise until I had made both cushion covers the same, then found that one fitted perfectly, and the other is a bit of a squeeze. 
    Still, I think they look pretty and I hope that the recipients will like them.

This is the finished length.



Graham is showing the front of one of the finished cushions



And this is the back of the same cushion - which turned out to be  a little larger than the one I made first.




No comments:

Post a Comment