Friday 4 October 2019

Sea Sides

Now, just because I haven't mentioned The Bedspread for a little while, doesn't mean that crocheting has not been going on.
     I have now got the main central section together, decorated and complete (I think), so now is the time to concentrate on the sides and bottom edges, which will be the sea surrounding my central magic island.
     You know that I had been crocheting many pieces of ripple stitch, with bands of dark blue, light blue and white. To me these represent the waves breaking on the sea shore, and when you look at these, the waves break at different times, not all together. So to try and represent this I made these first pieces in different lengths and with the coloured bands in different positions within each piece.




     I then fastened these together end to end in a long piece for each side and the bottom.
     When I had done this, I decided two things, these strips were not wide enough in proportion to the main bedspread, and to the majesty of the sea I wanted it to look like. Also, when you look at the sea further out, it appears more uniform than the breaking waves at the shore.
     So rather than make more small pieces to match the inshore sea area, I decided to try and make special larger pieces to represent the wide almost infinite nature of the sea.
     Also I thought it would be easier to make the sides before fixing them to the main bedspread, as it is sooooo huge and quite heavy and difficult to keep manouvering about.
     So, here is Graham modelling one of the finished sides:



As you can see, this is still ripplestitch, which seems very appropriate for the sea, but I have used some thicker wool. This means that the 'ripples' are larger and wider, which to me represents the strength and depth of the sea and the larger ocean waves. You may also be able to see that the larger waves don't always match up with the smaller, inshore ones, and that was also a conscious decision as the sea does change its waves as it becomes shallower and hits underground rocks or features which change the shapes of the waves and how and when they break.
      The mixed, smaller ripples will be attached to the bedspread sides, allowing the sea to drape and hang down the sides of the bed.
      I have completed both of the sides and am now working on the bottom edge. Then all I need to do is fasten them all together and the bedspread will be finished.
 
     And I shall show you the finished result.

     I think ripple stitch might be one of my favourite crochet stitches.




No comments:

Post a Comment